Networker

[Networker] Networker Backup Server in Home made cluster or as standby Server

2004-08-08 09:11:06
Subject: [Networker] Networker Backup Server in Home made cluster or as standby Server
From: Rahul Parasnis <rahulparasnis AT MSN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 22:10:50 +0900
Hello Gurus ,

By looking at the licences I have for networker I want to explore a way to
create something simmilar to networker standby server .

I have following set of licences.

1.Networker Server for Unix License ( Includes 10 Clients)
75 Client License
Unix Client PAK
Windows Client PAK
Notes Modules X 3
Windows CLuster X 4
Unix cluster license  X 2
Autochanger 1-256 slots
Autochanger 1-20 slots
NDMP License X 2
Dynamic Drive License X 6

2 . Networker Server for Unix license ( includes 10 clients )
Autochanger 1-20 slots

You can see that I have two server licenses . I would like install this
second Server license to Disaster site which includes 10 clients .

First Server with rest of licences will be installed in Production site .

My question is .
As you all know when server fails you have to restore first server and then
start restore .
In disaster case that will be the scenario .

Since I have two Server license can I minimize this server setup .

1. I will be able to restore any files backed up by PRD server using this
Server in Disaster site.
2. Exception is for NDMP restore . I can not restore NDMP data since I  have
neither NDMP license nor NAS device in Disaster site .

3. Is there any way to copy index data to this second server say on daily
basis orr weekly basis so taht this second server even has latest index data
of first server .
I would like to know from all of you is this possible , e.g  Something like
just copu /nsr directory of first server to /nsr.prod to second server and
then just rename it if you want to restore on Second server from the tape
baked up by first server .

4. Networker Server hostnames can be different ( Which is not the case
compare to standby server )

5. I will be able to backup some clients in Disaster site if at all needed
which is again not true in standby server .

best regards,
- Rahul Parasnis