Networker

Re: [Networker] More confusion over cleaning

2004-07-29 19:18:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] More confusion over cleaning
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:21:04 -0400
Well, if I understand it correctly, it looks like, at least according to
our version (6.1.1) that if you have 'Auto clean' set to yes, then
NetWorker will clean according to the schedule (interval) that you set
which I assume is the 'Cleaning interval' field under the devices
(details) window. But if you have 'Auto clean' set to No, *BUT* you have
a value defined for the 'Cleaning interval' field then NetWorker will
simply issue an event notification that the affected device needs to be
cleaned but will not attempt to clean it. HOWEVER, if you have 'Auto
clean' set to No *AND* you do NOT have any value set for the 'Cleaning
interval' field then NetWorker will do nothing.

If I what I said is correct, then it appears that Legato's cleaning
scheme is based entirely on its own schedule and has nothing to do with
the library and/or what the device on the library thinks. Now, perhaps
this all changes in later releases of NetWorker? Can anyone whose using
6.1.4 or later confirm this?

If this is the case for our version then it sounds dangerous as there's
no friggin' way I'm gonna leave the drive cleaning schedule to guess
work. LOL! I'd rather let the library do it, where I know it will get
done when and only when it needs it even if it means runnning the risk
of contention.

It woul be nice if NetWorker based its decision to clean or not clean
based on what the library device tells it and not it's own guess work
schedule and worse case scenario being that NetWorker would notify you
that the drive needed to be cleaned but would leave it up to the device
to determine this.

George