Networker

Re: [Networker] Cannot write to tape drive -- read only file system?

2004-07-28 14:03:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cannot write to tape drive -- read only file system?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:05:31 -0400
It indeed appears to be a lower level problem. I rebooted both primary
server and storage nodes and cycled the power on the library. I can
label the same tape in devices 2-4 (/dev/nst2-4) but not device 1
(/dev/nst0). Next, I manually loaded the tape into drive 1 using 'nsrjb
-ln'. All fine. I then tried to tar some data to the tape and received a
similar message from the OS that the device is read-only, permission
denied, and I was root! I was able, however, to tar data to this tape
using devices 2-4. I was able to read the data on drive 1 that I tarred
from the other devices so I know the OS is fine for reading from it.

I checked the permissions on the devices: /dev/nst* and all have the
same permissions (crw-rw----), owner and group. Furthermore, the dates
are all the same and all from April 2002. I can't figure out why the OS
set this device read-only and how or where it's set!

Any thoughts?

George