Networker

Re: [Networker] tapes do not expire

2004-07-27 04:45:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] tapes do not expire
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:44:30 +0100
Mariusz Bogumil wrote:
W liście z wto, 27-07-2004, godz. 09:51, Davina Treiber pisze:

Mariusz Bogumil wrote:

Solaris, Letago 6.1.4
Auto media management = Yes
Volume -> Recycle = Auto

Problem::
After expiration time tapes do not expire?

Does anybody heard anything about such situation? Where to look for
solution?

When all save sets are marked as recyclable, the next time nsrim runs
the volume will also be marked as recyclable.

Each save set becomes recyclable when both of two cases have been satisfied:
(1) They have passed their expiry date, and
(2) There are no other save sets that depend on this save set.

It is usually (2) that catches people out.

Could ypu give me some scenario for #2. When and how is it possible. I am
unable to imagine such situation.
If I undestand you say that for all save sets passed their expiration date (so
I do not need them) and something still need them.
How is it possible? Could you explain it to me?

Imagine that you have a retention period of 14 days, with a weekly full
backup, as well as incrementals or level backups on the other days.
NetWorker allows you to recover any file that existed 14 days ago, so
needs to store enough backups to allow you to recover to 14 days ago. So
lets assume you took a full backup 5 days ago, and also a full backup 12
days ago, and another one 19 days ago. In order to recover the system to
the way it was 14 days ago it will need to recover some files from the
full backup taken 19 days ago, as well as possibly some files from the
incrementals taken 18,17,16,15 and 14 dsys ago. Thus the subsequent
incrementals all depend on the full backup taken 19 days ago, and hence
none of these save sets can legitimately be made recyclable until there
is another full backup that is 14 or more days old to take its place.

You should also be able to see that any failed full backups will make
the situation worse, making it necessary to keep some full backups even
longer.

I hope this makes it clearer.