Networker

[Networker] How Legato detect changes for a Level X backup?

2004-07-26 07:24:58
Subject: [Networker] How Legato detect changes for a Level X backup?
From: Manel Rodero <manel AT FIB.UPC DOT ES>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:14:43 +0200
Hello,

We're having inactivity problems with a machine but only for a L1 backup. We
suppose the problem is related to the big amount of files this machine has,
but I don't know why this problem appears only for L1 backups and not for
the next day (L2 backups).

Our schedule is:

        Sat - FULL
        Sun - Skip
        Mon - L1
        Tue - L2
        Wed - L3
        Thu - L4
        Fri - L5

The backup of a partition (/home2), where the users/students have their
files, fails due to inactivity only on monday. The group where this machine
is included has 60 minutes of inactivity. We can see 3 retries for the
machine:

* machine:/home2 3 retries attempted
* machine:/home2 07/05/2004 04:36:56 AM nsrexec: Attempting a kill on remote
save
* machine:/home2 aborted due to inactivity

During these retries we can see the SAVE process running in the machine. And
we can truss into it and see how it scans the filesystem.

The questions is why it fails during an L1 backup (files that have changed
since saturday) and not L2 (files that have changed since monday). What
Legato looks for to detect the changes?

Thank you!

 o o o  Manel Rodero                   | LCFIB - UPC
 o o o  Systems Manager & HelpDesk     | Campus Nord - Modul B6
 o o o  Laboratori de Calcul           | Jordi Girona, 1-3
 U P C  Facultat Informatica Barcelona | 08034 Barcelona (Spain)

 Mail : manel AT fib.upc DOT es               | Tel: +00 34 93 401 6940
 Web  : http://www.fib.upc.es/~manel   | Fax: +00 34 93 401 7040