Networker

Re: [Networker] Sun Gigaswift network cards

2004-07-06 03:20:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Sun Gigaswift network cards
From: "T. S. Kimball" <tkimball AT BRASS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 03:19:42 -0400
I'm using an older Gigabit-Fiber card (ge driver, the one that shares
/w FC 1 gig port) on my E450 server & solaris 8 with no issues other
than a 'small' number of imput errors.  I called Sun on the errors
long time ago and they said as long as the amount was less than 1-2%
of total throughput (it is) then should be OK.  My FC port is not in
use.

This card has been in that nsrd server since day one (~ Aug 01), and
is quite happy otherwise.  It runs 8 (now 7) x DLT7000 drives.

We have gigabit-copper (ce driver) ports on other systems as well with
no issues, on 480 and 880, both native port and couple generations of
PCI card.  We don't use trunking though, each port ends up in
different subnets for different kinds of data.

My guess from experience is that the Sun Trunking software package
(you're using this, right?) is having issues, or is misconfigured
against the Cisco somehow.  We had a lot of initial issues in
configuring the server's Gig-Fiber (on both sides) as it was the first
server to go that way.

--TSK

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Mark Bradshaw (BTOpenWorld) wrote:

> Folks,
>
> We're seeing an odd problem with a couple of our NetWorker Sun Storage Nodes
> which we're using with Sun Gigaswift cards. The problem first turned up when
> we tried to trunk 2 gigabit network ports together - basically what we are
> seeing is the server hard-hang whenever the network load goes above around
> 100 MB/sec.
>
> At first we thought this was due to the trunking software so removed this
> from the equation. Then we noticed that if we drive the 2 network cards
> reasonably hard (50-60MB/sec each) then we can hard hang the server as well.
> Thinking this was maybe a hardware issue Sun have replaced pretty much
> everything on the server and the problem still persists.
>
> We've also now seen this on another Sun storage node so we are really
> worried this might be a more fundamental problem.
>
> Is anyone out there using Sun Gigaswift network cards and getting good,
> stable performance > 100 MB/sec through the network?
>
> The affected servers are:
>
> Sun V480, Solaris 8, latest patch bundle. Also had problem on 6 month old
> patch bundle), 2 x Gigaswift cards
> Sun V880, Solaris 8, latest patch bundle, 2 x Gigaswift cards
>
> We're using NetWorker 6.1.3 on both servers and have Cisco gigabit switches.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark
>
> --

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY

and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify SunGard Trading Systems immediately
at (201) 499-5900 and destroy all copies of this message and any
attachments.