Networker

Re: [Networker] one schedule per client entry

2004-07-01 12:04:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] one schedule per client entry
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:03:39 -0700
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem, and making it too simple, but
> when I want to have a client skip its nightly backup for just a night
> or two, I just kill the Networker processes on the client.  The backup
> fails, and I get notified about it via the standard notification
> mechanism.  It will continue to fail (and notify me) until I restart
> the Networker client software or the machine is rebooted.
>
> Like I said, maybe I'm not getting it, but that seems like a simple
> solution to me...

You are lucky enough to have access to all your clients.  Sometimes I do
not (backup for other clients, require administrator rights in AD, ...)

Another technique (at least on a unix server) is to create a temporary
entry in the /etc/hosts file with the client name pointing to a bogus
address.  The connection will fail in a similar manner, and you don't
have to touch the client.