Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP restore problems. Yet again.

2004-06-23 18:16:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP restore problems. Yet again.
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 00:16:07 +0200
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Itzik Meirson wrote:

IM> Needless to say this attitude will not bring you closer to problem
IM> resolution.

Indeed. But at least it provides some immediate satisfaction. :)

IM> 1. What is/are you NAS devices?

Netapp filer, very recent ONTAP.

IM> 2. What do you exactly mean by three-party, please be specific,
IM> regarding clients and NDMP tape service.

The NDMP tape server is installed on the same server as the networker
server. We're using powersnap (a derivate of Celestra, if I'm not
mistaken). One tape drive in the SCSI-attached jukebox is reserved for
NDMP backups/restores.

IM> 3. In a NDMP backup I have never seen a path that starts with a leading
IM> dot.

Well, that's what happens if you browse to the directory in question with
UNIX "recover", and "add" the directory, and then type "recover".

IM> 4. Try to check if the specific file (and path) have ever been backed up
IM> using:
IM>    nsrinfo NDMPClient name | grep -i FS_AKT.K1.

Yup, its there: /vol/vol0/so/NKG/arkiv/Fastigo7/Data kommun omr
2/FS_AKT.K1, date=1087933927 Tue Jun 22 21:52:07 2004
/vol/vol0/so/NKG/arkiv/Fastigo7/Kjell/FS_AKT.K1, date=1087933927 Tue Jun
/vol/vol0/so/NKG/arkiv/Fastigo7/Kjell/Temp/FS_AKT.K1, date=1087933927 Tue
Jun 22 21:52:07 2004
/vol/vol0/so/NKG/arkiv/Fastigo7/Kjell/Data/FS_AKT.K1, date=1087933927 Tue
Jun 22 21:52:07 2004

IM> 5. Are you doing a "recover" or "saveset recover"

A recover. I'm trying a saveset recover of a specific directory now.

IM> 6. What do you mean by DAR recovery while ENHANCED_DAR is disabled?

Netapp introduced an enhanced version of DAR previously, which seems to be
enabled per default, even though netapps documentation claims that it
isn't. It can be seen on some savesets, since they have the
"ENHANCED_DAR_ENABLED=Y", so I have explicitly set this to N in the
options list for the client definition in networker now, due to
recommendation from legato support. AFAIK, networker doesn't support
enhanced DAR.

IM> For sure there are more questions to be asked but I hope the ones I
IM> specified can lead you to the resolution of the problem.

Well, I don't think so, but thanks for your effort. :)

IM> Last, but not least you should use and involve Legato support.

Indeed. But I'll try other options first. Support costs money if you only
have the software update service.

One last thing, has the celestra/powersnap tape server software been
updated recently? I don't see much info about it on Legatos web, or are
these binaries included in networker nowdays?

//Oscar