Networker

Re: [Networker] Veritas vs Networker

2004-06-21 04:27:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Veritas vs Networker
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:31:51 +0200
Answering only this issue and not the other requests for more detailed TSM
info (it has been a while) ... Please ntoe this is all from memory and migth
be proven worng (in a court of law ... ) ...

TSM's approach is an "always incremental" - meaning all backups (except for
the first one off course) will be at an incremental level.

The assumtion is then that your library (backup server) is available during
the day to do a admin tasks. The backup server generally tracks all the
files that are required for any machine to do a full restore - it can then
put (if so required) all of this data onto one (or more) tapes - this is
called (if memory serves) "co-location". - this would typically be used to
speed up a DR scenario.

TSM approach from the outset generally requires a MUCH larger library than
Legato - as they generally try and keep at least "x" versions of files etc
in the library itself.

In the scenario where you get a number of these tapes that become "full of
gaps" due to expiration of data there is quite a nifty feature where you can
run a tape reclamation where it takes 2 50% tapes and creates one 100% tape
(all configurable off course).

TSM's approach is NOT grandfather, father, son, but rather I need at least
"x" versions of my file and they (each) need to be kept at least "y" days.

You can easily setup additional "clone" pools or secondary locations for
your data to move to - just by adding additional storage pools on TSM.

My personal opinion is that Legato is a much ... "easier" system to use and
administer. I have only seriouslt played with TSM on a windows environment -
but even then - it was quite a stretch to understand the concepts and it was
a huge task administering the system on a daily basis.

TSM's approach is generally a bigger hit initially (which I suppose helps to
sell the kit) - but this I think is not a bad thing as most of us would
benefit from having , say 4 drives initially instead of the 2 we have to do
with.

In terms of staging, and cloning etc you still have the basic principles (as
in Legato) like you need at least one drive to read from and another to
write to etc etc.

TSM is as well a "enterprise" class storage / backup system. Completely
different system doing a "similar" task. (Like asking, in my opinion, what
is better a BMW, Audi, Volvo, Mercedes ... etc... ?).

I dont know how it competes on pricing.
I dont know about the "caveats".
I dont know about market share.

I know that after many, many moons, I still prefer Legato.

Regards,
Riaan