Networker

Re: [Networker] Veritas vs Networker

2004-06-21 03:00:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] Veritas vs Networker
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:59:54 +0200
On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Sumash wrote:

S> I have personally worked with both products at resellers. So here is my
S> thoughts and opinions on both products.

Great! However, I'd like someone to post a similar comparison with Tivoli
Storage Manager, which I have never worked with. Some people claim that
TSM removes the need to schedule full backups, and instead consolidates
incremental saves. I guess this means that TSM needs free time to
consolidate all these saves, and thus will use up drives.

WHat about pricing? Overall look-and-feel? What I'd like to see, and which
the previous networker/netbackup comparison lacked, was an
opinion/analysis of what caveats there are. As a fairly experienced
networker user, I know networker has its fair share of bugs and problems.
Some that have been around for some time now. For me, this is almost
approaching the limit for what's acceptable, when it comes to the total
amount of bugs, and for how long they have been around. For instance, the
FQDN only name issues, the constant problems with networker daemons, the
never-ending-story of lame three-party NDMP implementations etc.

It would also be useful to know if IBM has trade-in programs, and what
their pricing is. For me, it seems that networker is highly priced,
directly and indirectly. For instance, in order to upgrade to major
releases, you need a software update service. This is like 12% of the
license cost every year. A major release seems to surface every 2-3 years.
That's pretty much dough for an upgrade. Also, you don't get any support,
but have to shell out another large amount of money to get that as well.

The Legato support is fairly decent overall. The people taking calls seem
to be doing a pretty good job, however, the problems that do get reported
back to engieneering are seldomly resolved in a good way in later
releases. NDMP backups still have problems/quirks. FQDN-only naming gives
problems with the windows GUIs.. Netware users still complain about issues
that have been around for years... I'm pretty sure there's much more out
there.

So, I'd like to see how TSM compares with this. When it comes to pricing
(licenses, upgrades, support etc), and when it comes to real-life
experiance. The feature list, and what OSes are supported can be found by
using Google in seconds. The other information is harder to come by.

I bet there are some TSM lurkers on this list, or at least some people who
can get someone with insight to share their views about TSM! So, do what
backup vendors fear! Have an open discussion! Let people see that there
are other options out there! The backup software market has way too little
competition in the enterprise segment, since everyone thinks its easiest
to stick with their current solution. And so what if it costs much money?
Big corporations really don't care if the bottom line says $10000 or
$1000000, right? :P

//Oscar