Networker

[Networker] Difference in save set size after upgrade of client and server software

2004-06-11 06:43:15
Subject: [Networker] Difference in save set size after upgrade of client and server software
From: "Cooper, Chris" <C.Cooper AT CRANFIELD.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:19:16 +0100
Hi all,

We have Networker 7.1.Build.230 server running on a Solaris 9 box with
approx 90 clients backing up to it.

A few months back we upgraded the server to this version from v6.1.3. At
a similar time we upgraded the majority of our clients to 7.1 from
versions 6.x.
Everything seemed to be working fine until we came accross an oddity -
One of the clients (Windows 2000 Server) showed a great reduction in the
save set size of it's D: drive.

Prior to upgrade the save set was approx 120Gb, but after upgrade this
dropped to 11Gb - This was not misreporting the size, there was actually
a huge chunk of data missing from backups. We therefore downgraded to
6.1.3 client and everything returned to normal. This only happened with
the D: drive and as we had this drive compressed we put it down to that
and have stayed with the 6.1.3 client on this machine.

However more recently we have noticed it happening on another client
(again Windows 2000 Server) and again only with it's D: drive. This time
the 6.1.3 client software will back up approx 6Gb and the 7.1 client
only 1.7Gb - We actually only noticed this one when we needed to recover
some data and it was not contained on our backups. This time this drive
is not compressed, so we are at a loss as to what is causing this. We
have also tried the latest 7.1.2 client but with the same results.

We have not seen anything similar to this with any unix based clients,
or even with any of the other windows clients yet - I am still checking
each of them one by one.

Has anyone else seen similar problems to this or even know what the
cause/solution is.
Fair enough we can stay with the 6.1.3 client on these machines but it
is a bit of a worry seeing as we have lots of machines now running at
7.1 client.

Thanks for your help,

Chris.