Networker

Re: [Networker] Retnetion/Browsable Period

2004-06-09 17:13:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] Retnetion/Browsable Period
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:13:46 -0700

> Guys
>
> I have data on a tape with a Retention and a browsable period of 6 weeks. I
> was just notified by the client they want to keep that data PERMANENTLY. Is
> there a way I can change the Retention period so it will not go intp a
> RECYCEABLE status and would have to SCAN the tape back in.

(I'm assuming that this is a 'full' backup and doesn't rely on data from
some other volume?)

There's 2 bits of data, the media data and the index data.

For the media data, just mark the volume as 'manual recycle'.  Now
Networker will never mark the tape recyclable by itself, so the volume
and the media data will be retained indefinitely.  (you can still either
manually recycle the volume, or delete the data)

The index data is harder to keep around for forever, but with modern
networker you don't have to scan a tape to read it back in, so I
wouldn't try to retain it.  If there's an index for that client saved on
the same volume (that would be normal), you can use nsrck -L7 to read
the old index off the tape.

Even if you lost the file index, you could still either perform a
save-set recovery, or scan just the saveset you're interested in rather
than the whole volume.