Networker

[Networker] Index retention

2004-06-03 09:36:00
Subject: [Networker] Index retention
From: Adam Ardis <adam.ardis AT FAC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:26:04 -0400
I use Networker 6.1.3, and I'm trying to get my indexes to write to it's
own tape pool so that I can manage the retention policies of my different
groups.  What I have done is set up 2 pools for Indexes, one for
Incrementals and one for the rest(Weekly/monthly).  My Incremental
retentions are no more than a month, while my weekly or monthly can be up
to a decade, so I wanted to have those indexes expire and reuse the tapes
that they have been written to, but I'm still getting those retentions as a
decade.

Previously, I had all the indexes going to the tape the backup data was
also going to, so I thought separating those tapes would help my retention
and recycling.  I have successfully gotten my incremental tapes to recycle
when their retention expires, since I no longer was writing my Indexes to
those tapes.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get my Indexes to expire with the data's
retention?  If I've got a client that has 3 client entries(One for
Incrementals, one for weekly full, and one for monthly full) will the
indexes for all of those always be the highest retention of the client?

Hopefully I've given enough information to get an answer, if not I will try
to explain better.

Thanks in advance,
Adam