Networker

Re: [Networker] NTFS change journal

2004-06-02 10:17:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] NTFS change journal
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT THOMSON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:17:07 -0400
We have used this to cut down on large incrementals.  I remember the default
settings for the the change journal are too small for large drives/volumes
and would not be used/overfill on some drives.  These were the 2 settings;
"% of volume for log file" and "% of log for Allocation Delta" in the change
journal manager.   I know we changed the setting from the defaults but
forget how much we increased them.

I know the change journal and these setting must be manually set for each
drive?   After changing these settings and activating the change journal a
full backup is needed to clear it out.  We found just turning on the change
journal did not work without a full backup.

That said, the change journal cut down on large incrementals. The
performance appears to be better but that may be because its backing up less
changes/data.   I say that because I had expected better performance with
the change journal; one would think it could consult this quickly rather
than tranversing directories looking for changes/archive bits.   I may, in
fact, have the same probelm as you do.    Anybody else getting good
performance with the change journal?

Robert Maiello
Thomson Healthcare