Networker

Re: [Networker] Quantum SDLT Microcode backwards compatibility issues

2004-06-01 10:25:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Quantum SDLT Microcode backwards compatibility issues
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT THOMSON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 10:25:06 -0400
Well, I must pipe in here with a "me too".   We're using Quantum/ATL SDLT
220s.   With the newer library the firmware was upgraded to V70 but we
were told by Quantum that we don't want to be exchanging tapes between this
and our older library with V45.  The V70 drives are suppose to be able
to read V45 tapes.   It was not reccommended to write to the older tapes
though.  Indeed, we've found tapes written with V45 and bulk erased have
caused problems in the V70 drives.  Some will not even load in the V70
drives (but will load in the V45 drives).   Like you, we continue to find
to this day, some tapes that have problems with the V70 drives.  I was
told there is V80 firmware out that will address some of these issues; it
was not recommended for our library though.

Let us know if Quantum or STK have any suggestions.

Robert Maiello
Thomson Healthcare