Networker

[Networker] Different retention policies for same client?

2004-05-27 11:48:11
Subject: [Networker] Different retention policies for same client?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:49:40 -0400
Is it really possible to have a "Year" retention policy for one client
instance and a "6month" retention policy for the second instance of the
same client? It appears that NetWorker will allow this since I just
tried it under nwadmin, but I'm not sure if this will really work in
reality the way I hope it will. I've never actually put it to the test
over the long run.

We'd really like to have a one year retention policy for all savesets
written to pool B and 6months for those going to pool A. I control which
savesets got to pool B via a single group. There are 4 clients who are
members of this group and there are a total of 6 savesets between them.
Each of these 4 clients also has a second instance with 'All' and a
directive to skip the ones handled by its counterpart.

For example, let's say I have two instances of client fred:

Instance 1: Retention policy="6month", browse policy="2month"
Member of group1, savesets = 'All'
skips /home/data
group1 writes to pool A

Instance 2: Retention policy="Year", browse policy="2month"
Member of group2, savesets = '/home/data'
group2 writes to pool B

With this scenario can I really expect that those savesets written to
pool B by instance 2 will not become eligible for recycling for one year
and savesets written to pool A by instance 1 will become eligible after
6 months?

Thanks.

George