Networker

[Networker] Dilemma with cloning?

2004-05-26 14:57:37
Subject: [Networker] Dilemma with cloning?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 14:59:08 -0400
I have this dilemma here. I have a pool called: ARC and two clone pools:
'ARC SDLT Clone' and 'ARC LTO Clone'.

I would like a clone operation to take place immediately after the arc
group (uses ARC pool) completes, but I would like to be able to ensure
that that correct media will get used to clone the data. We use two
media types: SDLT and LTO on two different libraries. In our case, both
libraries are connected to the same storagenode server, so there's
currently no speed loss when cloning between various devices, BUT at
some point in the near future this may change wherein the libraries may
no longer be on the same storagenode server. At that point, the network
will be involved when cloning from one type to the other which will slow
things down, so I created two clone pools, one for SDLT and one for LTO
with the intention of being able to specify the appropriate pool when
performing manual clones so that reads and writes from original to clone
would ALWAYS take place on the same library for speed and performance.
Each pool has its volume type preference specified so this solved the
problem when doing manual cloning, but for automatic cloning I'm at a
loss ...

The arc group has the 'Clones' field set to 'Yes', but the problem is
that I can only put one value in the 'Clone pool' field, so which pool
do I specify? Clearly, I can use either, and that will work, but there
are two issues: 1. The other will never get used and 2. Because there's
no way to know which original media type will get used, there's no way
to guarantee that the cloning will not cross the network when the
libraries are separated. It would be nice if you could tell NetWorker to
always clone to media in the same library unless none is available and
then use the other library. Of course, I can play games with specifying
a volume type preference in the ARC pool, write-protecting the SDLT
media and specifying LTO in the Clone pool field or vice versa and then
periodically alternating, and this way I know it will clone to the same
media type, but here I'm hard coding it, and I'd prefer not to have to
do that. Or I could just have one clone pool, so then there's only one
value to specify, but in that case I still have no control over which
media type it uses to clone unless, again, I hard code the volume type
preference in the ARC pool, but then I lose my flexibility. I really
wanna have ARC pool volumes of both media types, and ARC Clone volumes
of both media types but would like to keep like with like and still
automate the cloning process when the group completes.

Aside from having two different groups, I don't see a way to do it, and
two groups doesn't help me.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

George