Networker

Re: [Networker] backing up raw disk databases

2004-05-26 14:14:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] backing up raw disk databases
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:14:35 -0700

> Hi All,
>
> We are in the beginning phases of redesigning our entire backup process to
> consolidate the way we back things up. As it is now, we are not using
> Networker to backup from raw disk. We are performing a database dump to disk
> and backing up from their using Networker.  Can Networker backup and recover
> from and to raw disk w/o any concerns?

You may have concerns, but Networker has the 'rawasm' feature to do raw
volume backups.  Whether such a backup is useful depends on the database
and how it works.  Most databases would need to be stopped for the
duration of the backup for the data to be valid.

> Or is it best practice to perform
> the database dumps as we are doing and backing up from there?

That can be easier to maintain.

Cold (file) backups
Cold (raw volume) backups
export to file, file dump backup
RMAN / connector / module backup

All are valid.  You might prefer to use one or another based on your
systems, cost, performance, DBA preference, or backup admin preference.

> Additionally,
> what is the "Full No DBF" backing up?  What's the point of backing up the
> database while excluding the database files?

Often database modules/RMAN/utilities are used to back up the
information directly from the database in a restorable fashion while the
dabase is live.  With that done, backing up the .dbf files is usually a
waste of tape.  The files are open and not in any particular state
during the backup, so recovery is difficult.