Networker

[Networker] Bootstrap Saveset disappears after Disaster Recovery

2004-05-26 07:22:48
Subject: [Networker] Bootstrap Saveset disappears after Disaster Recovery
From: "Staudenmaier, Thomas (ZKD)" <Thomas.Staudenmaier AT ZKD.BWL DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 13:11:12 +0200
Hello there,

my problem occurs with Windows NT 4.0 SP6 and Networker 6.2:

I successfully do a full backup; there is no trace of an error, neither
daemon.log nor savegroup.log show any unusual messages, the bootstrap and
all other savesets are saved and can be queried with mminfo.

Then I start my disaster recovery right out of the book: installation of OS,
installation of NW, mmrecover (I give the bootstrap id), stop NW processes,
replace res with res.R directory.

When I start the NW GUI all NW resources are there but the group that ran my
full backup shows the red hand icon. The group details say the bootstrap is
incomplete. The mminfo query also does not show the bootstrap. Additionaly
the volume that contains my backup was 9% full after the backup now is
marked as full after the recovery.

Despite all this the disaster recovery succeeds (nsrck, recover of server
data).

There are the points I'd like the opinion of the list:
Why is the bootstrap suddenly incomplete after an otherwise successfull
mmrecov?
How come that mminfo does not find the bootstrap any more?
Apparently I would not be able to retry the recovery since there is no
bootstrap anymore. I guess it was just plain luck the recovery succeeded.
This is not a situation I feel comfortable with; any suggestions how to
change/improve the procedure?

Thanks for the help
Thomas