Networker

Re: [Networker] Slow Netware Backups

2004-05-22 14:33:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Slow Netware Backups
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 14:33:07 -0400
On Sat, 22 May 2004, Anuj Mediratta wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>The setup consists of Win 2K backup server backing up a SAN box data(3 TB)
>and Netware servers. The problem is that the netware servers either stop in
>between the backups giving RPC errors or if they work, the backups are very
>slow.
>
>In the network where it gives a speed of 8-10 MB/sec for Windows servers to
>backup, it gives a speed of 200-300 kb/sec. for the Novell servers.
>
>We are using NW 6.1.1. Could anyone help me to diagnose & rectify the
>problem.

This depends a lot on your network infrastructure, but there are a few
general recommendations to make. Make sure that auto-negotation is not set
for all your NetWorker clients, and your NetWorker server. Set each
system's network interface card to the specific setting for the network
ports to which each system is connected.

For the NetWare servers, you need to make sure they are on a half duplex
network. For all your servers, make sure there are no anti-virus packages
running during the period that backups are running.

What is the network load on your NetWorker server's ethernet card like
when these machines begin to back up so slowly? You might be saturating
your NetWorker server's NIC.