Networker

Re: [Networker] Client id versus resource identifier?

2004-05-19 16:58:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Client id versus resource identifier?
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 19:31:43 +0100
George Sinclair wrote:
Thanks,

Okay, so everyone agrees that in this case you wanna change the new
client id to match the old one ... well, we all know the original client
id could be determined easily enough by running mminfo, assuming the old
savesets were still in the media datatabase, and as Darren commented,
nsradmin could be used to change the id of the new client back its
original value -- all well and fine -- but how would having the wrong
value prevent you from recovering older savesets via saveset recover?
Clearly, you can't use saveset recover unless the client exists, so I
guess if you create it, and the id doesn't match the one that's
associated with the saveset(s) you're trying to recover then all bets
are off and NetWorker will simply hose you?

I think you'd be OK doing a save set recover, since NetWorker just reads
the save set you specify explicitly using the ssid. You shouldn't have
the problem of referencing the media DB from a client name.

But let's say that the original index is still on disk, and you don't
change the client id back to the correct (original) value but you never
ever recover anything from before and only recover stuff from that point
forward. Will NetWorker care that there are savesets for two different
client ids, both having the same client name? I'm thinking no, and you
could continue using the index and recovering newer stuff but just
couldn't recover older stuff.

It doesn't always work like that. Sometimes it will be writing the save
sets with the old client ID, sometimes even with the supposedly correct
client name. So doing a query of newer save sets can yield no results.
It can be very confuddling.

I just wanna be clear about this and confirm that it's not the index
where the id is stored, nor the res file but rather the database itself
since you can query for the id with mminfo, correct? In this case, since
the resource id is irrelevant, then there would be no need to recover an
older version of the nsr.res file?

Right, it is a key in the media DB, and is NOT stored anywhere in the
res files. As you say, you won't need an earlier res file.