Networker

Re: [Networker] Merging two servers

2004-05-13 02:33:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Merging two servers
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:36:15 +0200
Hi There,

Tricky ... but just adding two different servers I have never managed to get
right. The issue here is that the indexes are stored against the backup
server name - so even if you recover them to a new server it wont register
as the names differ. I havent tested this myself, but if you are desperate
you might try the following:

Please remember to have SAFE copies of you current bootsrap / index backups
somewhere!

Rename one (or both) of the servers to the name of the other (remember cant
have two machine on the same network with the same name), or to a new name

Then it is a question of doing your index backups on each of these machines
(with this "new" name).

Next you have to recover all of these indexes (stored against that "new"
name) to a server ...

Once you either have both sets on a new machine or both on one of the
machine (against that "new" name) you can change the server name to be what
you want - or if you want then go through a process of upgrading Legato etc.

I do a similar process when upgrading a machine to a new version of Legato
on new hardware ....

I hope this helps, if it doesnt I am sure I will suffer from some severe
memory loss and wont remember this mail ...

Riaan