Networker

Re: [Networker] Merging two servers

2004-05-12 15:13:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Merging two servers
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 19:32:53 +0100
Aurea Cruz wrote:
Hi everyone,
We are demoting a backup server to become a storage node of a larger server,
and I can't find documentation about this.
My goal is to transfer the client indices and corresponding media entries. I
have data that is kept for a year, so even though it's only 12 clients, they
are large servers and I have almost 600 tapes.
I'm planning on using nsrck -L7 but I don't want to move all the media before I
know it works. (these are DB servers that can't live without cleaning their log
areas with a backup every few hours).
scanner -i [-c client] was my other alternative, but do I really have to read
all 600 tapes...?The only index I don't care about is the old server's, so that
one is going to go to a new client id, but all the rest will have to be
imported.
Has anybody tried this (and had success!)? Thanks in advance!
Aure

There is no published way to merge two media databases. I used to be a
consultant with Legato Systems, and even then I never heard of any way
to do this. If it is possible then it is a closely guarded secret.

So, basically I don't think you can do this.