Networker

Re: [Networker] Questions on changing retention policy?

2004-05-12 11:36:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Questions on changing retention policy?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:37:44 -0400
Excellent point, Darren. Yeah, I think we want the 6month policy, but we
really only want it on tapes in the ATL pool (incrementals and level
backups) as these tapes do not go off site. But we don't really want
this for the FUL pool since these do go off site. Again, it's not really
a major deal since we write-protect everything we take out of the
library and nothing goes back in unless recovering. Only catch would be
if a FUL pool tape got left in library too long.

We can't really just change the policy for certain clients and not
others because ALL clients use the same pools. It would be nice, though,
if NetWorker allowed you to adjust the retention period based on the
pool. So we could have a 6month policy for any savesets in the ATL pool
and a 1 year policy for any savesets in the FUL pool. Given that all of
our clients use all the pools, the only work around I can see would be
to have two instances of every client. Both instances would have
identical info except 1. they'd each be in different groups. One group
would use the schedule for the ATL pool and the other would use a
schedule for the FUL pool, so you'd double the number of schedules, too,
and 2. each would specify a different retention period based on the
group. Not sure if you can have different retention periods for same
client instances?

Anyway, this would be an insanely mess to manage, so I'm thinking we
just need to be careful not to leave the FUL tapes in there too long.

George