Networker

[Networker] Most efficient way to create duplicate clones?

2004-05-11 10:42:45
Subject: [Networker] Most efficient way to create duplicate clones?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:11:36 -0400
Hi,

Here's the scenario: I have a bunch of savesets located on LTO and SDLT
tapes that I'm going to be cloning. I'd like to create two clones of
each saveset, but to different physical tapes (same clone pool), so no
two cloned savesets will ever reside on the same clone volume. The
original volumes will be recycled, leaving us two clone copies of each
saveset on separate clone volumes for safety. I'm trying to figure out
the best and fastest way to do this.

First, as previously suggested, I've set up two clone pools: one for LTO
tapes and one for SDLT tapes with each specifying its respective media
type under the preferred media type field. My plan is to clone SDLT
tapes to SDLTs and LTO to LTO's which should greatly expedite cloning
speed by forcing the cloning to not cross media types and hence to stay
within the same library (faster speed). And I can do this simultaneously
with nary a care, but not sure how best to expedite the process of
creating a second clone copy??? I don't mind if both cloned savesets are
on the same type of media, I just want to keep them on separate physical
clone volumes.

Obviously, I could run all the savesets through, at which point most of
the clone volumes from the first run would then be full, and then just
start over again from the beginning, so the second clones would
naturally go to different volumes since the previous ones would be full
-- seems kinda obvious -- or I could play games with setting the volumes
to read-only, blah, blah, blah ... but I'd like to be able to produce
the second clone copy as soon after the first as possible without all
that trickery. If my understanding is correct, NetWorker will not clone
savesets to a clone volume if there's already a clone operation going to
that volume, so here's my idea from a manual perspective:

If I launched a clone command as:

'nsclone -s server -b pool -S ssid1 ssid2 ...'

where ssid1, 2 ... reside on original volume 'vol1', and I have a clone
volume 'vol_c1' available then these savesets will be cloned to this
clone volume. All obvious.

Now, if after launching the above command, and while it's still running,
I then launch it again, and I have a different clone volume (vol_c2)
available, then I'm thinking NetWorker will insist on wanting to load a
new clone volume, in this case vol_c2. Furthermore, since it can't clone
the data until the other job finishes, I'm thinking it will just sit
there patiently waiting, and then when the other job completes, it will
clone the same savesets to this other tape.

>From an automated point of view, I'm thinking to have two scripts.
Script 1 would consist of a series of nsrclone commands (like above) to
clone savesets on LTO media and would specify the LTO clone pool. Script
2 would clone savesets on SDLT media and would specify the SDLT clone
pool. After each nsrclone command, the next line in the script would
mark the affected clone volume read-only, and then repeat the command,
which would force to a different clone volume in same pool. Next, it
would mark that volume read-only, mark the previous volume appendable
and then continue with the next clone command and so on and so fourth.
This is really the only way I can think of to best automate this
insanity. Any thoughts, suggestions or criticisms?

Assuming this seems logical, anybody know of a way that I can best set
this script up? Not sure how it will know which volume to mark read-only
and which appendable? Seems like some careful choreography will have to
take place. Is there a way the script can determine all this?

Thanks.

George