Networker

Re: [Networker] Legato Backup Level

2004-05-10 03:44:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato Backup Level
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:45:46 +0200
Hi There,

Good News/Bad News? Legato will "always" reference the last FULL backup or
lower level differential or the last backup (incr). Meaning to do a restore
it will build a picture of a full "image" on a certain date and use any
number of incr's and diff's plus your last full to get a complete picture as
of that certain date.

>From a backup perspective: Meaning, unless you do differentials only (level
1 - 9) and occasional Full's you will struggle to get it to reference
certain backups on certain days.

So, if you do incremental's it will reference tha last backup and backup
anything that has changed.

With Differentials it will reference the last FULL or the last lower level
differential. You can play with differential levels and end up with a type
of "smart" incremental (meaning your restore takes up less tapes). (I
suggest taking pen and paper and writing the numbers 1-9 down randomly (on a
week schedule), and seeing which day will reference wich other day's backup
- to get a clearer picture - it worked for me).

But as far as I am aware, if there is a full backup in-between your incr's
and diff's will reference that. I might be wrong (it has occasionally
happened before ...)

:p

I hope this makes sense, and that it helps,

Regards,
Riaan