Networker

Re: [Networker] Auto media verify?

2004-05-07 10:35:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Auto media verify?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 07:35:38 -0700

> DLT (and most all modern tape technologies, IIRC) do "read after
> write", so DLT drives automatically verify that all the data they
> receive is written to tape.  That leads me to think that auto media
> verify is not necessary, at least when writing to DLT.
>
> So I'm still left wondering: is there some compelling reason
> to set auto media verify?  (If the answer is yes, I would think
> Legato would make it a default setting or at least mention it in
> doc/release notes.)

The question is, does DLT (or other technology) acknowledge the write
before or after verifying the tape.  If it's before the verification,
then a situation could arise where the verification fails and there is
not enough tape left in the cartridge to rewrite the buffer.  I'll bet
that is the case.

My understanding is that DLT has a "warning" mark some distance from the
end (EOT vs EOM).  The drive should attempt to write all buffered data
after reaching the warning mark and then return EOT to the host.  If
true, then this particular issue is probably not a big deal for DLT
users.  I have no idea if other technology deals with it in similar ways
or not.