Networker

[Networker] Question on percent used value for tapes

2004-04-29 12:30:17
Subject: [Networker] Question on percent used value for tapes
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:31:35 -0400
I've noticed that NetWorker will occasionally fail to report a tape as
being full and will instead simply list it as 100%. For example, I'm
running a backup stream to a particular tape, and NetWorker at some
point requests another tape (same pool, same backup stream). Usually, if
I go and look in the mount window (GUI), the previous tape will be
listed as full under %used. Also, if I run something like: mminfo -vq
'volume=name' - r '%used', it will report 'full'. Makes sense, but
sometimes this does not happen and the tape instead lists as 100% under
both mount window and command line output. Strange! The tape must be
full or NetWorker would not have requested another tape to continue the
backup on. In fact, I've even tried mounting the tape in the drive,
removing all the other writable same pool media from the library and
then trying to run a backup to it, and it just sits there and requests a
writable tape, so clearly it knows that it can't put any more data on
there. Why does it not mark the %used field as full?!!!

I should note we are using an older version of NetWorker (6.1.1 on
Solaris 2.8 server with RedHat storagenode, same version of NetWorker).

Thanks.

George