Networker

Re: [Networker] sessions hang

2004-04-27 14:23:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] sessions hang
From: Les Yaw <yawles AT LUTHER DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:20:31 -0500
One item that doesn't get mentioned very often is making sure the client's
NIC configurations, and the switch port they connect to are the same.

We've found a couple clients that just s e e m e d   t o   d r a g   o
n   f o r  e  v  e   r.  Delving into the issue, we found the NIC was set
for full-duplex, 100mbs, while the auto-negotiation of the switch's port it
was connected to was half-duplex, 100mbs.  It's easy for the system admin
in charge of switches to set the switch port to a defined setting.
(Especially if they're using HP or 3Com switches, as we are here).

There are other issues as well but this one is well worth checking, as it
can affect the client's over-all performance on other protocols.

Best of luck,

Les Yaw
Luther College
Decorah, IA