Networker

Re: [Networker] FW: Incremantal backups in Legato Networker 6.1.4

2004-04-15 15:19:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] FW: Incremantal backups in Legato Networker 6.1.4
From: Craig Ruefenacht <craig.ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:19:00 -0600
Sorry for taking this thread onto a tangent, but this info may be useful
to some.

After doing some more tests this morning, I stand enlightened and
educated.  This thread is probably more information than the original
poster ever imagined he'd get :-)

I was wrong in saying that Networker doesn't consult the client on-line
indexes to get the mod times of files to determine whether they are
backed up or not.  It does appear to do just that.

However, I did discover what was getting me confused on this topic.  If
the inode modification time is prior to the -t argument to the save
command, the file won't get backed up (for incrementals).  This explains
the behavior we see on our Symmetrix BCV volumes.  This is at least the
behavior I see.  My explanation of the behavior is only my guess as to
why.

To test, I did this:

Time    Action
12:00:  Perform a full backup of save set XYZ

12:03:  Edit a file named ABC which belongs to save set XYZ

12:10:  Perform an incremental backup of save set XYZ.  Verified that
        file ABC got backed up during incremental.

12:11:  Changed time on server to be 12:07 using the "date" command.

12:11:  While the system thinks its 12:07, edited and saved file ABC

12:12:  Changed time on server back to 12:12.

12:13:  Perform an incremental backup of save set XYZ.  File ABC
        did not get backed up.

12:15:  Checked various times on file ABC, here is what they were:
           Mod time: 12:07
           Access time: 12:07
           inode mod time: 12:07 (do "ls -alct" to see this)

Note that file ABC, when it was backed up at 12:10, had a modification
time of 12:03, and when the next incremental backup ran at 12:13, file
ABC had a modification time of 12:07.  Even though the modification time
on disk was different and newer than what was in the client on-line
index (and thus, the file should have been backed up at 12:13), file ABC
didn't get backed up.

I also ran the above tests, except instead of changing the system time
with "date", I edited file ABC, saved it, and then used the touch
command (with the -m and -a arguments) to change the file modification
time, and the file was backed up as it should have been.

I've tested this on Solaris and HP-UX clients (6.1.3) with a HP-UX
server (6.1.3).

Also note that I changed the server time rather than simply using
"touch" to change modification times because the touch command can't
modify the inode modification time.  The inode modification time can't
be manipulated - its set to the system time when the inode was last
modified - you can't change it to anything you like, at least not with
touch.

For any normal system, you are not going to run into this problem.  Its
when you do fun stuff with BCV volumes that this can bite you.