Networker

Re: [Networker] Exchange backup problem

2004-04-13 08:18:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Exchange backup problem
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:18:44 +0100
Vince Howard wrote:
Server:  NetWorker 7.1.1_rtm Build 277 under Solaris 8
Client:  NetWorker 7.1.1_rtm Build 277 under Win2k,
         Exchange NWM v4.0.1.197

Hi Gurus,

We are having problems with backups of our Exchange 2000 server.  It is
taking an absolute age to backup our mailboxes (approx. 470) at
brick-level, I had to cancel a session after 14 hours because it was
still running!  The problem seems to centre around the time it takes the
Exchange NWM to export mailboxes (which vary in size from a few MBs to
over 1GB) to temporary files before passing them to the NetWorker server
.

Has anyone out there experienced similar problems, if so, what did you
do about it?  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

This is a well known issue. There is nothing you can do to improve it
other than backing up less mailboxes. The API provided by MS to backup
Exchange mailboxes is extremely inefficient.