Networker

Re: [Networker] Replication software for WAN server backups

2004-04-06 17:12:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Replication software for WAN server backups
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 13:27:17 -0700
>  I am looking at Legato's Replistor but it looks a bit expensive, complicated
> and more features than we need.  I just want something that will basically
> mirror the directories every night.  Don't care about real time or failover
> stuff.
>
> Ideally what I would like is something I can tell to  mirror this directory
> and if you are not finished in 6 hours stop and pick back up tomorrow night.
>
> Any Ideas?

Well, mirroring a live filesystem might mean different things to
different people.  For instance if you have a database on it, you might
need the remote system to be in sync at a time when the database is in a
consistency mode.

You could always use 'rsync', but you have to be careful that updates on
the source system during the rsync may or may not be reflected on the
target.

If you're certain that there are no updates to the source filesystem
during the night, then it would be fine.