Networker

Re: [Networker] AW: [Networker] Moving Networker clients to new server

2004-04-03 00:32:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] AW: [Networker] Moving Networker clients to new server
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 17:17:53 +0100
Grohal Klaus wrote:
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Legato NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU]
Im Auftrag von Davina Treiber
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 1. April 2004 19:25
An: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU

Schaefer, Harry wrote:

Good point. Since the 2 servers are in relative proximity, I will just keep the
deactivated clients on the old servers, available in case a restore is needed.
As their tapes/data expire, they will go away naturally...

This is one way of doing it, but there is no reason why you can't
migrate everything to the new server. Read the disaster recover guide,
because that is basically what you would be doing. In short you run
mmrecov to reover the media database and res files, then nsrck -L7 to
recover the indices. It's quick and painless, but do read up on it first
so that you will understand what is happening.

May be I misunderstood the question: moving the clients i thought, not the
server !!

It could well be that I was the one who misunderstood. If the clients
are moving to an existing server then it's not as easy, since it is not
possible to merge media databases. The original suggestion is probably
the best.