Networker

Re: [Networker] NW saving to incorrect pool

2004-04-02 11:22:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] NW saving to incorrect pool
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:22:12 -0800

> ok here are some details: *I will list what I THINK my
> problem is at the end of this...might make sense to
> look at that first.
>
> Root pool:
> Enabled
> Pool type: bu
> Template: default
> Group: server
> Client: server name
> Save set: / *(if I try to change this to ALL I get the
> following notice, Pool(s) server have overlapping
> selection criteria)

Note that you can just leave the saveset line blank.  Then anything that
isn't matched more specifically (as it is in the RAID pool) will go here.

> Raid pool:
> Enabled
> Pool type: bu
> Template: full *(just noticed it is not default)
> Group: server
> Client: server name
> Save set: /raid1
>           /raid2
>
> Under Clients I have the server listed twice
>
> First:
> Client: server name
> Group: server
> Save set: / *(if I change to ALL, I get the following
> notice: save set of ALL for client "server name" in
> group server excludes any clients with the same name
> from the group....and will not let me make that
> change)

Right.  You could put them in separate groups if you wanted, though.
However ALL would still back up /raid1 and /raid2.

> Second:
> Client: server name
> Group: server
> Save set: /raid1
>           /raid2
>
> *Both "clients" are in the group "server" and their
> are two pools associated with the group, "root" and
> "raid".
>
> I open the group manager and start the bu expecting to
> see the system disk bu to "root" and the raids backup
> to "raid"
>

> * The raid filesystem /raid1 and /raid2 must be
> mounted under / on the system disk sooooo when the
> back up starts to back up / I think it is just seeing
> the /raid* filesystems as being part of /

No, I don't think that has anything to do with it.  Networker
understands separate filesystems as savesets.

I agree, it looks like it should work here.  You don't need to specify
both the group and the client in the pool definition, but it shouldn't
affect this.

Could you post the output from...

savegrp -p server

That will 'probe' the client, hopefully showing all the connections it
would attempt, and the pool it would use.

It might be something subtle, but I'm not seeing the reason at the
moment.