Networker

[Networker] Volumes have expired (prematurely)

2004-03-30 05:28:00
Subject: [Networker] Volumes have expired (prematurely)
From: "Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL)" <Maarten.Boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:27:50 +0200
Since monday I have the following phenomenon.

In my list of expired volumes are suddenly a large number of volumes that
should not have expired. Even volumes belonging to backups of last friday.

If I do a client restore of a client that should be on one of the expiredt
tapes it still knows about the data on the tape and asks for it.

It seems the media index is corrupt but the clien index still knows that the
data should be on the tapes.

Example:

client cwnl-apps2:
starting a restore of last fridays D: drive asks for volume CWNL.SERV.500

Looking with the gui at the volume CWNL.SERV.500 there are no records in the
media database at all but the restore still knows that this volume has its
latest full backup.

End example

WE did have s hanging drive and a very suspicious message in the syslog:

Mar 29 11:26:26 bagworm tmpfs: [ID 518458 kern.warning] WARNING: /tmp: File
system full, swap space limit exceeded

after that I rebootedt the machine (solaris 8)

Unfortunately I have no clear reason why /tmp (4Gb) was full.

I expect that shomehow the media index got corrupted and as I have never
(shame on cheek rising) experimented with disaster recovery I have no clear
idea how to proceed,

I did already a nsrck -L6 and nsrim -X to in an attemt to get any
synchronisation back.

any ideas how to get the connection between the media index and the client
index back would be welcome

Maarten