Networker

Re: [Networker] disk space used

2004-03-19 10:42:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] disk space used
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 07:42:16 -0800

> All,
>
> Why are some of my tapes that are marked FULL holding 19GB or 31GB or even
> 36GB of data? Why would they not all fill up to the same size? I wondering
> if I'm not utilizing my tape storage to their potential. And is there any
> way to force each tape to use the maximum capacity. I'm using AIT cartridges
> w/ 100GB and 260GB compressed.

Networker (and in fact most backup programs) has no easy way to tell if
a tape is "full" or not, so it simply writes data onto a volume until an
error occurs.  When that happens, the tape is marked 'full'.

If your tapes are not being filled to capacity, that may point to media
errors.  Check the drive (does it need cleaning?), check the connections
from the server to the drives, and check the logs to see if you're
getting any SCSI errors or anything like that around the time when the
volume was last used.