Networker

Re: [Networker] mmrecov fails

2004-03-19 04:43:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] mmrecov fails
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 07:41:05 +0000
Olaf Zaplinski wrote:
Davina Treiber wrote:

Again it's the problem about where you are running mmrecov from. I don't
believe that mmrecov or scannner understands the "rd=" notation. I'm not
even sure whether you _can_ run mmrecov from a storage node.

No, mmrecov is not installed on a (Windows) storage node. But how do I
recover the indexes then? Do I really need a local tape drive that is
attached to the server, a couple of tapes, a pizza and lots of time
then? ;-)

Yes I think you have to run mmrecov on the server from a local tape
drive. I am not aware of a way to run it from a storage node.

There used to be a restriction that the bootstrap could only be backed
up to a server device, but this was changed in a fairly recent version.
Now it is possible, but will give you a problem if you try to mmrecov
from there.

There are a few ways to get round this when you design your system. You
could perhaps backup your bootstrap to a file device on your storage
node and then clone it to tape. Then when the need for mmrecov arises
you will have a recent bootstrap on a storage node file device, so you
can copy the entire file device to your server and mmrecov from there.
I'm sure there are other ways.

A pizza is always a good idea.