Networker

Re: [Networker] mmrecov fails / my Linux experience

2004-03-18 16:37:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] mmrecov fails / my Linux experience
From: Olaf Zaplinski <o.zaplinski AT BROADNET-MEDIASCAPE DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:39:33 +0100
Hi!

McDougal, Philip H wrote:
Hello.  I'm not sure about the mmrecov either, but you can definitely
run scanner on the remote storage node.

Hmm, I will have to check that. I dumped the Windows storage node today,
installed RedHat 8.0 and recovered our Linux backup server with mmrecov to
this machine. But this only worked after I changed /etc/hosts from

127.0.0.1 foo foo.bar.net

127.0.0.1 foo.bar.net foo

because the automatically created client index for the backup server has to
be the same it was before: foo.bar.net and not foo. I learned that the hard
way, of course...

Of course I had to do a client recovery right after that - my workstation
that ran 24/7 for ages crashed. Anyway, with nsrck I could recover the
client's index and restore all necessary files. It's good to see that this
works.

Anyway, now we have Redhat 8.0 running. I would prefer SuSE 8.2, but it is
too dumb to handle our root fs being on a software RAID1 (/dev/md1). And
before SuSE, I'd prefer Debian, but we all know that it's not supported
(although a trial Debian 3.0 installation of 6.1.4 at home worked great with
one DLT drive).

This weekend I will see if the new server is working better than the SuSE
7.3 server before. If not, I will try the Linux server/Windows storage node
combination once more.

Why I am doing this: our server used to hang frequently, especially at
weekends when all full backups are running (writing to a ~1TB RAID5 'disk',
divided into 7 staging devices). Our very 1st NW server was a NT 4.0 box
with 6.1.3 installed, and here we all remember that it worked without any
problems. And: our 3 Symbios cards are definitely slower than the 3 Adaptecs
(both 64 bit PCI, both connected to our 5 LTOs). But Adaptec with Linux has
the 'feature' that sometimes unload commands show no effect, so the drive
sooner or later runs into 'service mode'.

Now, we do not want to transfer our Linux licenses to Windows, so I thought
Linux server + Windows storage node would be worth a try.

If anyone wants to tell anything about NW on Linux experience, please do!
;-) And I am also interested if you could tell me which is the more stable
platform for a storage node or server: Windows 2000 or Windows NT.

Olaf