Networker

Re: [Networker] Gathering info for building tape multiplexing overview ?

2004-03-16 14:28:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] Gathering info for building tape multiplexing overview ?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:27:55 -0800
> >> Does someone have a good formula/way to put them together back
> >> to rebuild a per volume overview of how the tape data to be
> >> multiplexed ??
>
> >What kind of report do you think you want to see here?  It'd be pretty
> >easy to show the start and end points of each ssid, and you could even
> >show the number of ssids saved in each media file.  Perhaps that second
> >one is what you're interested in.
>
> Well, it's not so simple you describe it, taking into account a ssid
> can be written across different volumes.

Thats why I suggest that you try to describe the *report* you want as
completely as possible.  I don't see the volume spanning being a big
deal at all if you're just looking at each media file independently.

There's *lots* of edge cases here.  Streams could potentially stop and
start in the middle of a media file.  So you could have 5 different
ssids in a file where no more than 4 were active simultaneously.  You
could probably detect that by looking for head and tail of ssids, but
I'm not sure it's worth the bother.