Networker

Re: [Networker] nsrd often hangs

2004-02-29 22:16:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsrd often hangs
From: Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:16:01 -0500
On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 18:33, Tim Mooney wrote:
> In regard to: Re: [Networker] nsrd often hangs, Scott Russell said (at...:
>
> >We has a problem with the server hanging which was resolved by using the
> >aic7xxx_old.o instead of aic7xxx.o in Red Hat 7.x.
>
> What led you to suspect that module?  I'm interested in learning what
> trail you followed to get to that point.

We ended up setting a serial terminal up to capture debug info. The oops
was specifically pointing to the SCSI bus. Working on the assumption
that the hardware was sane I searched http://bugzilla.redhat.com/ for
"Red Hat Linux 7.3" + "aic7xxx" + "tape" and came up with several hits.
(Use the full query form, not the quick search stuff) One common
suggestion was to try the aic7xxx_old module and for us this resolved
the problem.

Searching the Red Hat bugzilla for open and closed bugs is a great way
to find solutions or identify known problems. If you have bits of the
errors handy try using them in a search.

Also of interest might be http://www.linuxtapecert.org/ but I found it
disorganized and didn't feel all the info was trustworthy/fresh. Might
be a starting place though.

--
Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT us.ibm DOT com>
Linux Technology Center System Admin