Networker

Re: [Networker] Tuning Networker

2004-02-25 15:06:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tuning Networker
From: Joseph Ortiz <jortiz AT HOUSTON.RR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:05:54 -0600
David,

NetWorker is very tuneable BUT how you tweak it really depends on a number of
factors such as backup server hardware, number and types of backup clients,
number and types of network connections, types and amounts of data to be backed
up from each client, backup and recovery windows, number and type of backup
devices being used, etc., etc.

In general, NetWorker is tuned by adjusting things like server parallelism,
number of target sessions (data streams from clients) going to each tape drive,
block sizes being used by backup devices, etc.

So each backup environment has to be individually evaluated in order to arrive
at the best settings for that particular environment.

As for minimum requirements for a NetWorker server, just remember that minimum
requirements generally yield minimum results as far as throughput and
performance are concerned.

In general, you'd want at least 512MB of RAM or better in the NW host as well
as at least a dual processor configuration with P4 class CPUs or better.  You'd
also want at least one 100MB FD NIC or better along with no more than two tape
devices per HBA channel.  Disk space requirments for the software itself are
about 60-100MB.  Disk space requirements for the client index files however
will depend on the number of clients and the length of the browse policy you
intend to use for each client.  So disk requirements there might range from 1GB
to 100GB or more, depending on the number clients and browse/retention policy
settings.

You also want to make sure that all hardware, OSs, etc., are supported by the
NetWorker software.

Joseph Ortiz
DSMCS, Inc.