Networker

[Networker] Potential endless loop?

2004-02-23 12:19:50
Subject: [Networker] Potential endless loop?
From: Les Yaw <yawles AT LUTHER DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:16:23 -0600
Legato Server: 7.1 Legato on SuSE 8.2

Client: Linux SuSE 8.2 - approx 180 gigs drive space running Sophos anti-virus

Our student storage server is being backed up (or trying to) nightly.  We
follow the default schedule of full backup on Sunday, incremental
Mon-Saturday; Full backup on 1st day of each month.  We recently migrated
from 6.1.3 to 7.1.  When we were on 6.1.3, this "students" server would
finish it's backup.  There have been no changes on this server, or it's
client software.

This server never seems to finish backing up - it appears through the GUI
interface traffic is flowing, as the numbers are fluctuating.  One chain of
thought I have is this:

1.) Our sophos antivirus software is configured to run a full sweep each
hour on that server.
2.) We know sophos changes the archive flag when it touches a file.

Because the shear size of the backup would take a significant amount of
time, is it possible Legato's client on that server looks for changed
files, sees new files with the archive flag, backs that file up, then an
hour later, the job is still running, would this version of Legato then
look back to make sure it hasn't missed anything, seeing the archive
attributes changed again, then return to back up those files again?  Thus
an endless loop, as the job won't finish in time before another Sophos
sweep occurs?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Les Yaw
Luther College