Networker

Re: [Networker] Recovering clients defined with full-name (FQDN) only

2004-02-23 10:42:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recovering clients defined with full-name (FQDN) only
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:42:39 +0100
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Tim Mooney wrote:

TM> >I have posted about this before, but here it is again. I would really like
TM> >Legato or someone else to shed some light on this issue.
TM> Have you opened a support call with Legato about it?

No, since we don't have a support contract and open cases on a
pay-per-case basis. It feels bad to pay $1500 just to report a bug.

TM> >HOWEVER, when upgrading windows clients to 7.1/7.1.1, recovers from the
TM> >networker user GUI don't work too well. For some reason, the client
TM> >reports the short name "foo" to the server, instead of the FQDN/long name,
TM> >which ofcourse means that the server can't find the client and says that
TM> >it is not a registered client. This is somethign new with networker 7!
TM> >Directed recoveries to the same client can still be done though, so we
TM> >have been living with this for a while now. The CLI command "recover"
TM> >works without any problems as well.
TM> It sounds to me like the GUI is using a different mechanism to determine
TM> the host name than the CLI or nsrexecd.  That seems pretty odd to me.

Yup. I agree.

TM> I understand why having the short-name alias doesn't work for you, but
TM> since that's the case, your only recourse is to make certain that at least
TM> one of the two ``foo'' clients reports its FQDN.

Both DO report the FQDN, which is the problem when it comes to recovering
stuff from networker user or from networker user for exchange.

TM> I've noticed that many of the windows people I know have a "proper DNS
TM> configuration is optional" attitude, so I would start by working with
TM> your customers to verify the DNS configuration is correct for the clients
TM> with hostname clashes.  Do they set things (correctly!) in the "DNS" tab?
TM> Are they using a hosts file?

It is set correctly after I'm done anyway. So yes, all clients are aware
of their FQDN name (verified by running ping -a <server ip>). They also
use a hosts-file. The backup server uses a hosts file too, so there are no
name resolution issues.

TM> I don't have much experience with windows, but it also seems like there
TM> are about a half a dozen different notions of "host name"  with windows.
TM> Do all of the networking and naming systems in use on the box agree on
TM> what the hostname is?

I set the domain name at:
My computer > properties > Network identification > properties > more

and then I reboot and verify it with ping -a.

So windows itself should be aware of it. Also, networker user reports the
FQDN name when starting up, but changes it when trying to browse backed up
data (see last post) to the short name.

//Oscar