Networker

Re: [Networker] Mass restore from a client

2004-02-19 15:49:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] Mass restore from a client
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:48:53 -0600
In regard to: RE: [Networker] Mass restore from a client, Chris Campbell...:

>Could I take a look at your perl please?  I think it could be of great
>use to me.

Sure.  It's not the prettiest perl I've ever written, but you're welcome to
it.  I'll send it directly to you in a separate email.  If there are
others on the list that want it, ask me off list.

>Also, how do you grab all the savesets times (and their
>volumes) for non browsable savesets?

All savesets that NetWorker knows about have entries in the media
database, including the volume name, nsavetime, client, level, name, etc.

Savesets that are browseable *also* have file entries in the index for
the particular client.  When a saveset goes from browseable to
"recoverable" or even "recycleable", NetWorker still knows about the
saveset because of the entry in the media database.  All that's happened
is that the entries in the index for the client have been expired/removed.
The saveset entry in the media database doesn't go away until the tape is
recycled or it's removed.

When you run a query like:

        mminfo -q 'client=your.client.name' -r volume

it reports for all savesets that NetWorker knows about, which includes
savesets that are browseable, recoverable, recycleable, aborted, etc.

Think of it this way: the information in the media database gives you the
"black box" view of a saveset.  Using only the media database, you can see
the level of the saveset, what volume it's on, when it was done, what
client and client filesystem/volume name it backs up, and lots of other
stuff.

What you can't see is what files are actually inside of that saveset.  For
that, you need the index entries for the client (or you need to scan the
saveset, which would rebuild the index entries for the client, if you let
it).

>  I have used `nsrinfo -v client |
>grep filename` ...but that is an ugly hack at best, and only shows you
>browsable savesets...

That's correct, because it depends on the entries being in the client

> I want the info that mminfo gives you back with
>the `mminfo -a -v -c client` for a single filename.

To be able to get file level information about a saveset, you need the
client index entries for that saveset.  You can get those by:

- scanning the tape
- recovering a copy of the index for that client, from a time period that
  would still have the entries for that saveset in the online index.  See
  the `-L7' discussion in the nsrck man page.

If you know that a particular file was backed up in a saveset, you could
also avoid needing the index entry if you did a saveset recover, but
that's slow (like scanning) because you have to read the saveset.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu