Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP for NAS devices- do you like it?

2004-02-12 19:52:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP for NAS devices- do you like it?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:52:49 -0800
> There is nothing better than the most native command provided by the
> specific vendor!!!

Perhaps, but I've had to do Netapp backups where we could not afford to
dedicate an NDMP drive.  Without that, backups over the net were all we
could do.

> I would also strengthen this statement by saying that this will be the
> most efficient and fastest backup and/or recover procedure for the named
> platform.

You can do single file or directory restores quickly with either NFS or
CIFS backups.  That was not always possible (I assume it is now) with
NDMP backups.  I believe it is still not possible with native dump
format.

> How would a Unix symbolic link be represented in the CIFS world.
> More over, how would such a creature be restored back to its place?

Don't know.  I'm not a windows guy.  Certainly it would appear in your
explorer window, but I don't have the equipment to test that.

> As already said before, if you backup from Unix (NFS) you loose CIFS
> securities.

Yes, it's the other method that is supposed to work.