Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP for NAS devices- do you like it?

2004-02-12 10:23:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP for NAS devices- do you like it?
From: "Wood, R A (Bob)" <WoodR AT CHEVRONTEXACO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:23:17 -0000
Stan,
        Let me take the questions one at a time,
do you do full backups of your NatApp device nightly? No, we do full at
weekend and level 1 through 5 Monday to Friday.

How much data is backed up on a typical night    1.3TB for full avg
350-400GB weeknight

 and can you recover individual NetApp files?   Yes
If so, how long does it take to get back a NetApp file from tape via the
NDMP protocol? Before we set the 'direct=y' option it took up to 30
hours to restore from a 750GB saveset, now it is less (don't have
figures to hand right now).

As an aside, I'm working at reducing the size of the datasets for backup
by selecting savesets further down the tree (this will mean a management
overhead to make sure that everything is covered but should speed up
recovery time).

Regards
Bob