Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP for NAS devices- do you like it?

2004-02-12 09:40:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP for NAS devices- do you like it?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:39:50 -0500
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Mark Kilpatrick wrote:

>Alternatively, you can dedicate a Tape Device to NDMP backups. Then you
>would not need to purchase Dynamic Drive Sharing license and would not
>require any FC adapters, switch or router.

There are advantages and disadvantage. We use four out of our tape
library's twelve tape drives as dedicated NDMP devices. The down side for
some sites is that you might have an expensive tape device idle when it
could be doing non-NDMP backups. For us, that's not a big sacrifice since
our NDMP backups run throughout the night anyway, but it might be a
consideration at some sites.