Networker

Re: [Networker] 5 questions on library pickers and devices?

2004-02-06 17:55:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] 5 questions on library pickers and devices?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:55:51 -0800
> > In other words, any device on the chain will run no faster
> >than the previous device, so it would not make sense to place a fast
> >device after a slower one. Devices should be placed in order from
> >fastest to slowest, and if done this way, every device will run at its
> >proper speed, assuming good cable, length, etc. but not sure if this
> >logic applies to pickers, so here are my questions:
>
> Yes and no.  If you're going to mix devices on a bus that talk different
> "speeds" *of the SCSI protocol*, you don't want a slow-talking SCSI device
> (let's say an 80 MHz Ultra2 LVD device) between the HBA and an
> 160 MHz device.

What?  How is a SCSI device "in front of" another device going to affect
it differently from one that is "behind" it?  It's all one big bus.
There's no device ordering here.

> More importantly, if you have devices that use different
> widths (8 bit vs. 16 bit vs. 32 bit), you don't want the 8 bit devices
> physically cabled between your HBA and the wider devices.

That's a separate issue.  Yes, you certainly don't want non-wide cables
connecting wide devices.

> If your robot can talk the same speed and width of SCSI, just like all the
> other devices on the bus, then even though it's a physically slower device,
> it doesn't matter where you put it physically on the bus.  It doesn't need
> to be further away in the chain from the HBA.

> Remember that most SCSI devices disconnect when they have something to do
> that's going to take a while, thereby freeing the bus for other devices
> to talk.

In other words, when you're not talking to the robot, even thought it
might be slower, it's not slowing down the bus.

> >1. In a typical LVD tape library, will having the picker first on the
> >same bus as the tape drives slow down the drives?
>
> If the picker speaks a slower version of the SCSI protocol, then yes,
> it very likely will.  If it speaks the same version of the SCSI protocol
> as the devices, then *no* it will not.

However, that shouldn't matter much unless you're talking to the robot a
lot.  In most backup environments, the robot is only communicating a
fraction of the time.  It shouldn't significantly affect tape speeds.

> >I see the following during boot up (we're running Linux RedHat):
> >
> >Slot   Ch   ID   LUN   Vendor   Product  Size     Sync   Bus
> >06     A    0     0     STK     L80               ASYN     8
> >06     A    2     0     SEAGATE ULTRIUM06242-XXX  80.0    16
> >06     A    3     0     SEAGATE ULTRIUM06242-XXX  80.0    16
> >06     B    4     0     SEAGATE ULTRIUM06242-XXX  80.0    16
> >06     B    5     0     SEAGATE ULTRIUM06242-XXX  80.0    16
> >05     A    0     0     ATL     6220050           ASYN    16
> >05     A    2     0     Quantum Super DLT1        80.0    16
> >05     A    3     0     Quantum Super DLT1        80.0    16
> >
> >2. What do the terms: 'Sync' and 'Bus' refer to?
>
> Sync means synchronous, all the devices that have a number mean that
> they're capable of talking *synchronously*.  The 80.0 is the MB/s the
> device is capable of using the SCSI bus for (but the physical
> properties of the tape drive would never actually let it do that, it's
> just *capable of* synchronous data transfers at that rate).
> I can't remember the exact reasoning, but synchronous communication is
> faster.

It's because it can send several bytes of non-acknowledged data (like
TCP windows).  Async must wait for every byte to be acknowledged.  Much
slower for the same data rate.

> ASYN means asynchronous, and for reasons I've forgotten, it's not as
> fast as synchronous.  The robots send and receive so little data that
> it doesn't matter for them that they operate only in async mode.

Correct.

> Bus means how wide a bus the device supports.  All of your devices support
> the 16 "bit" flavor of SCSI *except* your STK robot, which only supports 8.
> When you mix devices 8 bit and 16 bit, you need to be careful about bus
> ordering.  You generally want the 8 bit device(s) physically "past"
> the 16 bit device(s) on the bus.  You also need to be sure that the 8 high
> signal lines are terminated, at the point where your 16 bit devices end
> and you 8 bit device(s) begin.  This is generally handled by your cable,
> so there's usually nothing for you to worry about, as long as your 8-bit
> devices are "past" the 16 bit devices on the chain.

The physical location shouldn't matter at all unless the cables are
different.