Networker

Re: [Networker] Two clients sharing an index?

2004-01-30 14:29:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Two clients sharing an index?
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:09:21 +0000
W. Curtis Preston wrote:
This is one for the gurus.  I know this will sound goofy, but if it doesn't
work, these folks are going to dump NetWorker entirely.  They're happy
overall, except for this one problem.  That would seem to be a waste to me.
It may seem like a NetWare question, but it's really not.  If you're a
networker guru, read on.

Suppose I had two or three (NetWare cluster) clients that all shared the
same clustered volume, but the volume was only resident on one client at a
time -- and it moved around all the time.  By default, if I'm backing up
each node in the cluster (which I'm forced to do because NetWorker doesn't
really support NetWare clusters), I'd force a full (or large incremental)
every time the volume moved.

I think all you need to do is define the backup for that volume with
save -c. Perhaps make an arbitary decision about which client is going
to own the volume, then use that in the backup command field of all
three clients. It's probably no more complicated than that.