Networker

[Networker] Autochanger Sharing on 7.1

2004-01-29 19:51:22
Subject: [Networker] Autochanger Sharing on 7.1
From: "Willeat, Todd" <TWilleat AT MHP.SMHS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:51:14 -0600
Hi all,

I'll be upgrading our backup infrastructure and need a sanity check. I have
an ADIC Scalar i2000 that I want to share between an AIX server and a
Windows 2003 storage node. The library will have 2 I/O blades, each of which
has 2 connections to SAN fabrics. We have separate redundant fabrics for
Windows and UNIX servers and my plan is to connect 1 I/O blade to the
Windows fabrics and the other I/O blade to the UNIX fabrics. Each I/O blade
would have 3 LTO-2 drives attached to it. I would like for the server to
control the robot and own 3 drives and for the storage node to own the other
3 drives. This is where I become confused...

If 3 of the drives are on different fabrics than the server, would it be
able to mount/unmount tapes for those drives? Connected this way, the server
should only see 3 of the drives (and the robot), so there wouldn't be any OS
devices created for the other 3 drives, but would jbconfig still discover
all 6 drives when it queries the library and I could just select which box
owns each drive?

Also, on page 440 of the UNIX admin guide, it states that "Autochanger
sharing is automatically enabled as part of Power Edition and Network
Edition". Yet, on page 441, it states that "Only Network Edition requires
you to license autochanger sharing".

Does anyone know if it actually is enabled in the Network Edition of 7.1?

I look forward to your responses... Thanks!

               _______________________________________
              /            Todd A. Willeat            \
             |           UNIX Administrator            |
             |           Mercy Health Plans            |
             |        425 South Woods Mill Road        |
           _ |    Chesterfield, Missouri 63017-3492    | _
          / )|  (314) 214-2329 / (314) 214-8202 (fax)  |( \
         / / |         twilleat AT mhp.mercy DOT net          | \ \
       _( (_ |     http://www.mercyhealthplans.com/    | _) )_
      (((\ \> \/->___________<-=-=-=-=->___________<-\/ </ /)))
      (\\\\ \_/ /                                   \ \_/ ////)
       \       /                                     \       /
        \    _/                                       \_    /

This e-mail contains information which (a) may be PROPRIETARY IN NATURE OR
OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) is intended only for the
use of the addressee (s) named above. If you are not the addressee, or the
person responsible for delivering this to the addressee (s), you are hereby
notified that reading, copying or distributing this e-mail is prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender
immediately.

---